Starting the recipe marathon with a sweet note…
This is the first dessert I tried on my own when I started experimenting in the kitchen.The first trial was a disaster as the kesari turned out powdery and didn’t look appetizing but I did not let go.I tried it again with the mom’s help and got the perfect finish.
White Rava[Suji] – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 1/4 cups [ if you want it a little sweeter use 1 1/2 cups]
Water -2 1/2 cups
Ghee – 1/2 cup
Roasted nuts[Cashew/Almonds] ,raisins fried in ghee
Elaichi / Cardamom powder-a pinch[Optional]
Orange/Yellow food color- a pinch [dissolved in 1 teaspoon milk]
- Dry roast rava till a nice aroma arises and it turns golden brown.Keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan boil water and add food color and the roasted rava in batches.Keep stirring to avoid lumping.
- Simmer and keep stirring.
- When rava is almost cooked[mash in between your fingers to check] add sugar,cardamon powder and stir well.
- The kesari will turn a little watery after the sugar has melted.
- Wait till the sooji aborbs the excess water and add ghee little by little.
- Next goes the roasted nuts and raisins fried in ghee.
- When the right consistency comes, the kesari will turn fluffy.[Until then keep stirring]
- Remove from heat.Serve hot or cold.
Friuts like pineapple,apple etc can be cut into tiny pices and used as a garnish.
[Photo updated – 25/4/12]
Check out what these girls are up to