If you have leftover rice from the previous days dinner, put it in a bowl and leave in the fridge till you decide to make any dish with it.Doing so will keep the rice grains separate and you are sure to end up with a lovely looking flavored rice.
Today’s tomato rice is an easy way to use up leftover rice.
Cooked rice,[grains sepreate]-2 cups
Tomato-3 ,ripe ,chopped
Onion-2 medium sized,sliced
Red chillies-3/Red chilli powder-1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder-a pinch
Curry leaves-a few
Channa dhal-1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Roasted peanuts-1 teaspoon[optional]
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard,channa dhal,asafoetida powder,curry leaves and wait for it to splutter.
- Add the onion,garlic,red chillies once the dhal turns brown and saute till the onion turns transparent.
- Put in the tomatoes,turmeric powder .If using chilli powder,add it at this stage.
- Cook till tomatoes are mushy.Stir in between.
- If it the mixture is too dry,add a few teaspoons of water.
- Put in the cooked rice,salt and mix well.
- Take care that the rice does not get mushy.
- Add the roasted peanuts and remove from heat.
For other varieties of rice dishes check out Rendezvous with rice ,where you can find 20 different dishes to seduce your taste-buds.