A chutney that looks fiery yet not so spicy,a side dish that that does not require too many ingredients,a chutney that can be whipped up in minutes-This is what I can say about bell pepper chutney.
Tamarind extract-1 tablespoon,thick
Red chilli -2
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds-1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds-1/2 a teasoon
Curry leaves a few
- Heat a pan and put in red chillies and roast for a minute.Remove from pan and keep aside.
- Heat a little oil in the same pan and put in chopped bellpepper and cook till soft.
- Cool and grind to a smooth paste along with red chillies,salt and tamarind paste.
- Remove to a serving bowl.
- Heal oil in a small pan and put in the seasonings
- When it crackles pour over chutney and serve as a side dish with a breakfast of your choice.[We had it with cornmeal dosa.]
- Though it looks spicy,the taste was mild.
- Since the bell-pepper was not hot I used red chillies.You can omit it or reduce the quantity to suit your taste