Olan is a traditional stew from God’s own country-Kerala.Black eyed peas are generally used but I used red bean.I am not sure if they season it but I did and it added color and flavor to the dish!
Ash gourd-1 cup,chopped
Red bean-1/4 cup, soaked overnight
Coconut milk-1 cup thick
Salt to taste
Curry leaves a few
Jeera -1/2 a teaspoon
Coconut oil-1 teaspoon
1. Pressure cook red bean for one whistle, drain and keep aside.
2. Heat a little water in apan and put in pumpkin and cook till it is almost done.
3. Add the red bean,salt,coconut milk and simmer for a few minutes till it thickens a bit.
4. Transfer into a serving bowl.
5. Heal oil in a small pan and put in mustard,jeera,red chillies,curry leaves
6. When the mustard splutters and curry leaves crisp pour over the olan and serve with steamed rice and pappad.
• Since I had forgotten to soak red bean the nite before,I put it into the rice cooker with lots of water and kept it in the ‘cook’ mode for a couple of hours and the beans was cooked.
• I microwaved the pumpkin pieces in the microwave of 5 minutes and mixed everything together in a heated pan and later seasoned it.
• Coconut oil brings out the authentic flavor of the dish but you can also use any other cooking oil.