I love beetroot just for its brilliant color.[Never mind if it stains my hands or the chopping board when I cut it].When mom was preparing this curry I wondered why I had not put it up in the blog and so here it is.This curry is sitting on the table waiting for us so am off to take a bite,meanwhile here is the recipe…
Beetroot-1 large,peeled and chopped
Coconut,grated- 2 tablespoons
Urad dhal-1/2 teaspoon
Gram dhal-1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies-2 ,broken into bits
Curry leaves-a few
Salt to taste
- Microwave the beetroot till done,approx. 8 minutes.[Sprinkle a little water]
- In a pan,heat oil and put in mustard,urad dhal,gram dhal,red chillies and curry leaves.
- When they splutter and dhal turn brown put in cooked beetroot[drain excess water if prepsent],salt,grated coconut.
- Mix well and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve as a side dish with steamed rice.
- Another variation is the use of onion.Finely chopped onion can be added in step 3 and sauteed till translucent and then proceed as above.
- The same one can be prepared wholly on the stove top.First heat oil and season,then add onion if using,then comes the beetroot which is covered and cooked sprinkling a little water at a time.Care has to be taken else it will burn and spoil the taste of the dish.This method is a bit time consuming.
- If using onions coconut can be omitted.
This dish can be prepared under 20 minutes hence off it goes to Niloufer Riyaz for her event Twenty-20.