Lil Angel has now developed a special fondness for Purple cabbage after I made this Purple cabbage rice and she wants it almost everyday!I have now started preparing a lot of ‘colored’ rice dishes for her so that she really enjoys them and I need not force her to eat.Her favorites are Purple [cabbage] rice, orange rice [carrot rice], green rice[ spinach rice].Yellow rice[lemon rice] and white rice [coconut rice] are probably last in her list and there is always a big ‘Yes’ to curd rice :).
So when there was a request from her that I should prepare ‘purple’ rice for lunch,I made this version from Priya’s Blog which is being featured in this months edition of Tried and Tasted hosted here.
I used the Paruppu podi that mom had sent me.I t was a delicious dish that we all enjoyed.
Source : Priya’s Easy N tasty Recipes
I used :
Cooked rice – 2 cups
Purple cabbage ,grated – 1 cup
Onion- 1 chopped
Paruppu podi – 2 teaspoon
Coriander powder-1/4 a teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Mustard- 1/2 a teaspoon
Cumin seeds-1/2 a teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil- 2 teaspoons
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard,cumin and curry leaves.
- When it splutters put in onion and saute till translucent.
- Next in goes the grated cabbage,coriander powder and saute.Do not add water as u will end up with a dull blue rice instead of a vibrant purple rice.
- When the cabbage is cooked ,put in paruppu podi,salt .
- Switch off flame,mix well and serve hot.
2008 – Fusion Rice prepared on an uninspiring day in my kitchen that turned out to be yum!