Sometimes it so happens that we are not in a mood to go in for dosas that need to be fermented.Its either because of the climate where the batter refuses to rise or because we simply forget to soak the pulses and rice to grind later or because we don’t have the patience to wait till the batter ferments to rise as we need a quick fix dosa for dinner or breakfast.
When one or more of these reasons rule,Instant Ragi Dosa is something we can go in for.Its instant,tasty and healthy.What more can we ask for!
Ragi flour – 2 cups
Rice flour -1 cup
Urad dhal flour – 1/2 a cup [ see note below]
Salt to taste
Optional – Yogurt / Curd 11/2 -2 cups
Onion – finely chopped
Coriander leaves- finely chopped
Curry leaves- roughly torn
- In a vessel put in the flours and salt.
- Add water to make a batter free of lumps and of dosa batter consistency.[See note below]
- You can add one or more of the optional ingredients to the batter
- Heat a griddle and pour a ladle full of batter and spread lightly.You may not get a perfect circle if you have added the optional ingredients.But never mind,it tastes just as good :).Drizzle oil if you like.
- Cover and cook till the edge leaves the griddle.
- Flip it over and cook for a few minutes.
Serve hot with a chutney of your choice.
If you have a couple of hours to spare,here is what you can do….
In a vessel take both the flours and mix in salt.Add curd and mix well.Take care to see that there are no lumps.The mixture will be pasty.Set aside for 2-3 hours.Before you prepare dosas,add the required quantity of water .Here too you can add one or more of the optional ingredients Mix well and prepare dosas as above.
There is another method using leftover Idli / dosa batter.All you need to do is add some ragi flour to the leftover batter and if you want to enhance the taste,add the optional ingredients listed above and prepare the dosas.
- To make the urad dhal powder, dry roast urad dhal in a pan till it turns light brown.Cool and powder finely.Store in a jar and use as and when required.
- You can mix all the flours and store in an air tight container.When u need to make these dosas,just add water and salt to the mixture.
- Since there are too many flours involved,I usually dump the flour and add water/curd in the largest jar of the blender and run it in short bursts for a couple of minutes.This ensure that there are no lumps.
- If the dosa does not come out well,pour a teaspoon of oil on the griddle.Half an onion.Rub the griddle with the cut surface of the onion for a minute and then proceed.
Other Ragi Based dishes