Rice – 1/2 a cup
Frozen peas – 1/2 a cup
Onion- 1, sliced
Whole spices – Cinnamon- a few bits, cloves- 2, bay leaf- 1,cardamom – 1
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Ghee- 2 tablespoons
Salt to taste
Grind to a smooth paste[See note below]
Mint leaves – a handful
Onion- 1, roughly chopped
Green chillies- 1
Ginger- 1/2 ” piece
- Leave the peas on the kitchen counter to thaw.
- Wash rice a couple of times and soak it for half an hour.Drain.
- Heat 1 teaspoon ghee in a pan and saute rice till the water evaporates and turns fragrant.Remove from pan and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Put in cumin seeds, whole spices and when the cumin crackles, saute onion till translucent.
- Add the mint paste and cook it till oil leave the sides and the mixture is almost dry.
- Add 1 1/2 cup water [I use 1:3 – rice: water ratio, adjust accordingly] and salt.Bring to a boil.
- When it comes to a rolling boil, add the sauteed rice and cover and pressure cook for two whistles or till almost done.
- When the pressure releases, put in the peas and stir to mix gently.
- Close the pressure cooker and simmer for a couple of minutes till the rice is done.Remove the pulao onto a serving vessel.
Serve with a raita or crispies of your choice.
It was a pleasure to watch Lil one enjoy the minty peas pulao….
- I used very little spices since Lil one does not prefer spicy stuffs.You can increase the quantity of green chillies to suit your taste.Likewise for the whole spices.
- While grinding the mint leaves and onions, I did not add water, but if the blender blades ask for it, add just a few teaspoons and not more
- You can also add a handful of coriander leaves along with the mint leaves
- Use Basmati rice for a better flavor
- Any cooking oil can be used instead of ghee
- To the same pulao add a choice of veggies while pressure cooking to get a yummy and healthier Vegetable pulao
This pulao goes to my event – Herbs and flowers in my platter with Mint as the theme for this month…
I never realized until now that this is the 51st Rice recipe @ Seduce Your Tastebuds!!!
Check out the wonderful recipes that are being prepared for the marathon…
Looks like I have not written a post on this day right from 2008!!!!