Porridge in an integral part of the Chinese breakfast.Most of my friends prefer to have porridge with some sour vegetable pickle[non spicy] and an egg. Porridge is a regular at our house too but only on weekends. I prepare the simpler ones and we love to have it with some lemon pickle and a couple of More Milagai[Sun dried yogurt chillies]. Sometimes I make this porridge with Chinese Yam and Goji berries. A simple meal that is really light on the tummy yet filling.
Shanyao – Chinese yam , Gouqi – Goji berry. Zhou – Porridge.Goji berry has a lot of health benefits. You can read about it in my earlier post on Goji berry.More about Chinese Yam here.Also take a look at the other Chinese Ingredients in the series titled Chinese ingredients Unraveled.
Chinese yam gets a little sticky when cooked and it is a yum ingredient in the porridge. Goji berry imparts a very light sweetness.Usually salt is not added but I add a little to mast the tinge of sweetness.
Chinese Yam – 50 grams
Goji berry – 10 numers
Rice- 50 grams
Salt to taste
- Wash and peel Chinese yam. Cut into small pieces.
- Wash rice a couple of times till the water runs clear.
- In a pressure cooker vessel, put in rice, Chinese yam, goji berry and lots of water[ I usually don’t measure water for porridge and generally add 4 times the water in proportion to rice / porridge mix..So for porridge add around 2 cups more than the rice : water ratio than what you will usually add]
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes or till done. The yam should not ‘melt’ in the porridge. It should still have a light crunch.
- When the pressure releases,mix well and if it is thick add more hot water.
- Add salt,mix and serve hot.
This porridge is generally for one serving. If you want it as a light meal or a part of a meal it serves two.
The other Chinese dishes in my blog can be found here.
Other recipes with Goji Berry
Check out the Blogging Marathoners doing BM#5 along with me
Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Aarthi, Divya, Jayashree, Jayasree, Kaveri, Pavani,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets:Gayathri, Priya Suresh,
Seven Days of Microwave Meals: Monika,
Seven Days of Regional Specials: Cool Lassi(e), Harini, Vaishali, Suma
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid’s Special: Kalyani
Summer Coolers: Kamalika, Srivalli