Here is another version of the Tomato / thakkali rasam I had posted earlier.This recipe is from Khazana Of Indian Vegetarian Recipes by Sanjeev Kapoor. I love to try out various types of rasams and this one seemed to be worth trying out and it was definitely tasty.
Toor dhal – less than 1/4 cup
Tomato – 2, large ripe ones, roughly chopped
Red chillies- 2
Peppercorns- 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Ginger- 1″ piece minced
Salt to taste
For tempering :
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves a few
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Pressure cook toor dhal with 2 cups of water. Once the pressure releases, drain the dal water and mash the dal and keep aside.
- Dry roast red chillies, peppercorns and cumin seeds.
- When it cools grind to a fine paste along with ginger using a little water.
- In a pan heat the dal water,add salt and bring to boil.
- Add the paste and tomato and cook till the tomato is mushy .Simmer.
- While it is simmering , heat oil in a small pan and put in the ingredients for tempering..
- When it crackles pour into the simmering rasam and boil for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with coriander leaves.
This can be served as a soup or as an accompaniment with rice.
Check out blogging marathon page to see what my fellow marathoners are cooking this week.
Other rasam recipes in my blog: