Doasa and Idlis are a part of South Indian breakfast. In certain parts of Tamilnadu, paniyarams find their place in the table. There are many versions of these and today’s post is from the Kongunad breakfast thali.
Paniyarams are a part of a tasty breakfast as well as a delicious snack.
I used :
Idli rice – 1 cup
Sorghum / cholam – 1 cup
Urad dal – a little less than 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
For seasoning the batter
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Onion- 1 , finely chopped
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves – a few
- Soak the rice, chollam , urad dal for 4 hours.
- Drain and grind to a fine batter using a little water. The batter should be similar to dosa batter consistency.
- Add salt and mix well.Let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Heat oil for seasoning. Put in mustard and curry leaves
- When the mustard splutters, put in onion and saute till translucent.
- Pour this into the batter and mix well.
- Heat a paniyaram pan [and grease the depressions with a little oil if not using non stick pan]
- Fill the depression [3/4th] with the batter.
- When the sides crispy, turn them over and cook for a few minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve warm with chutney / sambar