It is festival time and almost every blog boasts a good number of recipes that are apt for this season. With my theme for Blogging Marathon being – Cooking with chickpeas / gram dal, I made this simple kheer that fits into both the celebration and the theme…
Gram dal / Channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 1/4 cup
Basmati rice – 2 tablespoons, washed
Coconut – 2 tablespoons,grated
Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Milk – 1 cup
Roasted nuts for garnihing
- Roast the gram dal in a pan till you get a nice aroma but the dal should not turn dark brown / burn
- Pressure cook the roasted dal and rice with 1cup water for 10 minutes or till the dal is cooked.
- When the pressure releases, drain excess water from the dal mix and grind the dal coarsely.
- Dissolve the jaggery in alittle warm water and strain.
- Heat a pan and put in the milk, jaggery, excess water drained from the cooked dal and bring to a boil.
- When it starts bubbling, add the coconut and remove from heat
- Serve hot/cold garnished with roasted nuts
- You can skip the rice in this recipe. Rice is added to give volume to the kheer.
- Brown sugar / regular table sugar can also be used.
- Coconut milk can be used instead of cow’s milk to give a rich tasting kheer.
- Add more water / milk to get the desired consistency of the kheer.
- The cooked dal and rice can be used as such instead of grinding but sometimes, they tend to stand alone in the and the appearance may not be pleasing so mom grinds it coarsely .This way they mix well with the other ingredients.