The fruit basket is always full of Mangoes this year. Anyone who goes to the market never fails to pick up a few kilos of Mangoes! Though I am not so fond Mangoes, my family seems to love this fruit! The benefit for me is preparing loads of dishes with Mangoes and thanks to them, I now have almost a dozen Mango based recipes ready to be posted.
Mango pulp / puree- 1 cup [See note]
Vermicelli- 1/4 cup
Milk- 2 cups
Condensed milk – a little less than 1/4 cup
Fried cashews- a few
Mango pieces to garnish
- If the vermicelli is not pre roasted, roast it with a little ghee.
- In the same pan , add the milk and simmer till the vermicelli is cooked.
- Once it is cooked, add the condensed milk, mango pulp and bring to a boil.
- Switch off the flame.
- While ready to serve, garnish each bowl of kheer with a few mango pieces and fried cashew.
- The Mango was very ripe, I mashed the pulp lightly with a fork. This gave an excellent texture to the kheer.
- You can add sago instead of vermicelli.Soak and cook the sago in milk.
- Cardamom powder can be added but i think it will mask the flavor of Mango which should be the high light of this kheer.
- You can also add raisins fried in ghee for garnishing.
- Increase or decrease the quantity of mango puree and vermicelli to suit your taste.
- The condensed milk and mango both added to the sweetness so I did not add sugar.
- You can skip condensed milk and use 3 cups of milk and simmer till it reduces a bit.