I have chosen this Palak Kaala Channa Recipe from Tarla Dalal’s Punjabi Khana Cookbook for Srivalli’s Cooking with Cookbook Challenge .I made this a long time ago and as with most of the times, my drafts came to my rescue today.
The original recipes uses white channa but at the time I wanted to make his recipe, all I had was the brown one and I had to make some side dish for dinner so settled for this one.Also it uses Punjabi Garam masala and I used the regular one.
Kaala Chana -1/2 cup
Palak leaves- 2 bunches
Green chilies-1, chopped
Garlic- 4 cloves- minced
Ginger- 1 teaspoon, minced
Garam masala- 1 teaspoon
Ghee- 2 teaspoons
Lemon juice- 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
Ginger slices to garnish
- Soak the channa overnight.The next day drain the water, add 2 cups of water to it and pressure cook for 15 minutes / 4 hisses/ till cooked but not mushy.
- Separate the stalks and the leaves of the spinach.Heat a vessel with plenty of water and when it comes to a boil switch off the flame and put in the spinach leaves.Let it sit for two minutes. Drain and cool . Puree to a smooth paste [no need ot add water] and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the garlic, green chilies and saute till garlic turns light brown.
- Add tomato and ginger. Cook on low flame till the tomato is mushy and the ghee separates.
- Put in the channa and add a little water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next in goes the spinach puree, garam masala and coriander powder.
- Let it simmer for sometime till it thicken a bit.
- Add lemon juice and remove from heat
- Serve as a side with Poori / Roti / Chapathi etc…
This post is for the Cookbook Challenge of the month….