For the final day’s post with the theme ‘Cooking with Corn’ in the first week of Blogging Marathon #35, I made this low calorie steamed snack from Tarla Dalal’s site. I had bookmarked this long time back and this was the perfect opportunity to try it out.
Dhokla , as we know, is a popular snack from the state of Gujarat and I am a huge fan of this steamed snack. I have made the besan based Khaman dhokla and Green peas dhokla and both came out well and tasted great too.
This dhokla is a little denser and quite filling too. It can be served with a spicy chutney as the dhokla is quite sweet in spite of adding green chili paste! Since it is sweet kids will like these dhoklas.
Source: Tarla Dalal
For the dhokla
Boiled sweet corn-3/4 cup
Slightly sour curd- 1/2 cup
White Rawa / Suji – 1 cup
Green chili paste- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon flavored Eno[Fruit salt]- 1 sachet / 5 grams/ 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Sesame seeds- 1 teaspoon
Chopped green chili- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Grated coconut and coriander leaves
1. grind together curd and corn to a smooth paste. Transfer it into a bowl and add rawa.
2. Add 1/2 cup of water, green chili paste, salt and turmeric. Mix well.
3.Grease a pan and keep aside. Add Eno to the batter and add a teaspoon of water over it. It will bubble up. Mix once gently and pour into the greased tray immediately,
4.Place it in a steamer and cover and cook for 15 minutes or till cooked. TO check for doneness, insert a knife in the centre, if it comes out clean, it is cooked. Else cook for a few more minutes. Once done, remove from steamer and allow to cool. Mark squares with a knife
Heat oil for tempering and add all the ingredients. Once the mustard splutters , remove from heat and pour it over the dhokla. Gently remove from the tray and serve with a chutney / sauce of your choice
If you want to break the traditional way of serving, then serve it up my style…
- I used lemon flavored Eno. If you use plain Eno, add a teaspoon of lemon juice in step 3 instead of water.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon ginger paste along with green chili paste in step 2
- You can use a steamer or cook in a pressure cooker without the nozzle stopper.
- This tastes best when served hot. If it cools down, re heat in a MW or in a steamer and serve hot.
- I used black sesame seeds. If white sesame seeds are available, use that.It adds to the beauty of hte dish.
Other Corn recipes from my kitchen
Sending this to Chef Mireille’s – Taste of the Tropics event themed – Corn
Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM #35