For the past two posts I have been talking to you about my undying love for Egypt. So I will stop with that and move on to one of the favorite Egyptian beverages. Summers are supposed to be very harsh and this beverage when served chilled is supposed to tasty extremely delicious and is considered a wonderful thirst quencher…
I was not really sure how this would taste and hence made a small portion- a couple of tumblers to be exact. But after taking a sip, I loved the tangy-sweet flavor of this beverage and finished it all up.
Featured below is the famous Tamr Hindi with the book that made me fall in love with this great Country….
Tamarind – A golf sized ball
Sugar to taste
Water as needed
Ice cubes to serve
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for at least half an hour.
- Mash the pulp with your hands and strain the extract.
- Repeat this process till the water is almost clear when the juice is extracted.From here, there are two ways in which you can make this…
- a]Heat the tamarind extract with a little water and let it simmer for a few minutes. Cool and add more water to adjust the taste and serve chilled OR. b] Mix water to the above extract and add sugar to taste and serve chilled.
- You can also add a few drops of lemon juice but its only optional.