I read up some interesting facts about this Caribbean country.Here is what I found out…
- It is the second largest country in the Caribbean region.
- The people of this country are considered to be friendly and cheerful.
- The Dominican flag is the only country in the world that has the image of the Bible.
- One of the largest salt water lakes- Lago Enriquillo is found in this country. It houses around a large number of crocodiles!
- Cops and the Military do not participate in the elections.
- It is one of the major tobacco exporting country in the world.
- Rum is their national beverage!
- Abortions are officially banned in this country.
- The people of this country love a tasty meal and enjoy good food.
Now to the Cuisine….
This cuisine has Spanish[since it was a former Spanish colony],African,Indigenous Taino influences and has similarities to the Puetorican and Cuban cuisines.The names of the Dominican dishes can sometimes be found in these cuisines as well.
Some of the popular dishes are…
- Sancocho– 7 meat stew
- Arroz Blanco – White rice
- Mangu – Plantain mash
- Habichuelas Guisadas – Stewed beans
- Tostones– Twice fried plantains
- Chen-Chen– Cracked corn Pulao
- Pan de coco– Coconut bread
- Queso Frito- Pan fried white cheese