This was the first dish that was finalized for the Journey Through The Cuisines . Not only was the dish finalized, I had it ready in my drafts!!
My blogging Marathon friends have nicknamed my drafts as the ‘magic folder’! Most of the times when I am cooking something new, I click pictures and save it in my drafts.Though I cook, click and upload pics in the drafts, most of the dishes just stays there until I find a suitable theme to post them.Likewise for this one which was in hibernation for almost a year.For most of the monthly blogging marathon themes, I will have at least a couple of dishes ready in the drafts!So they always joke about me and the magic folder!
Anyways,Govandhanakaye is cluster beans and it is also known as kothavarangai[Tamil] , Guar, Gawar,Gavar etc in other languages.
Mom remembers her mom and aunts making this sun dried cluster beans during summer and when this vegetable was available in abundance.They use to make this, store and use it for several months! I usually make this with a couple of kilos of cluster beans and we finish it off quickly as the kids love to eat it as a side dish with meals and also as such as snacks!
Though deep fried,this one is an iron rich dish.My SIL was advised to eat more of this during her pregnancy.I was a newly wed at that time and she used to fry a huge batch and both of us used to much on this during tea time!
This is very simple to make and need no special care/ attention. Just half an hour of your time and you will be rewarded with this goodness.Very less effort is required from out part. It is the sun who needs to be at his maximum glory to get this done.
Govardhanakaye / Cluster beans – 1kilogram
Uppu / Salt – to taste
Arisina Pudi / Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Wash the cluster beans .Drain and keep aside. Heat water in a pressure cooker and add salt, turmeric powder. Put in the cluster beans. The water level should be just an inch above the vegetables.Pressure cook it for 1 whistle / 5 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan and gently drop a handful of the dried cluster beans.It will swell up and the color will change as seen in the pic below. Drain and serve.
This sun dried cluster beans makes a tasty addition to the meal.
- Do not cook the cluster beans for too long. It will turn too soft and won’t taste good when fried.
- If you don’t want to pressure cook it, drop it into a pot of boiling water , loosely cover it with a lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Keep checking once in a while so that you do not over cook it. It has to be half cooked.
- Make sure the cluster beans are fully dry. To check, snap an cluster bean.If it breaks into two immediately, it is ready. Else dry of another day.
- If the cluster beans have some moisture, fungus growth appears and the whole batch will get wasted.
- Spread the cluster beans on a large sheet and see to that they don’t stick together. This ensures quick drying.
- If dried and stored properly, the dried cluster beans stays well for a year.
This post also goes to the A-Z Challenge