I am baking after a gap of almost two months!! I had chosen the theme for #BundtBakers to bake a savory bundt and that is the time I felt I must get the oven back in action.
I chose an Indian flavored bundt ,one that will remind you of Upma, a semolina based breakfast dish. Upma is not so popular in our house, except hubby who loves it a lot. So baking upma changes its appearance and acceptance.
Since the baked upma was highly appreciated, I made something similar but with a different base ingredient. I used fine corn grits and it gave a whole new taste to the bake.
Fine corn grits – 1/4 cup
Water – 1/2 cup to soak the corn grits
Whole wheat flour – 1/2 cup
Yogurt / curd, fresh – 3/4 cup
Mixed vegetables ,finely chopped – 1 cup[I used-carrot, capsicum,beans]
Garlic-2 cloves, minced
Ginger- 1″ piece, minced
Onion-1, finely chopped
Baking powder-1/2 teaspoon
Sambar powder- 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds -1/4 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- /41 teaspoon
Channa dal- 1/2 teaspoon
Split white urad dal – 1/4 teaspoon
Oil- 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
Soak corn grits in 1/2 cup of water for 15 minutes. In the meantime, let us prepare the vegetable saute
Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard, cumin, channa dal, urad dal.When the dal turns brown and the mustard pops add the ginger , garlic, capsicum, onion.Saute till onion turns soft.
Add the vegetables and saute for a minute.Add the sambar powder, salt and cook for a minute.
Take the soaked corn grits in a vessel. Drain out excess water. Add wheat flour, baking powder, a little bit of salt,sauteed vegetables
Mix well and add yogurt / curd to bring it to a thick batter consistency. If it is too thick, ajust the consistency by adding water / yogurt.
Pour the batter into bundt moulds and bake in a pre heated oven @ 180 degrees for 8-10 minutes / until a skewer inserted in the bundt comes out clean. Cool slightly and serve with a side of your choice.
I served this with a hot and sweet sauce.
- If the bundt dries out on storing, sprinkle a little water and microwave/ steam for a few minutes and serve.
is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake
Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
- Bacon Cheddar Beer Bundt by The Queen of Scones
- Blue Cheese and Pear Mini Bundt Cakes by Patty’s Cake
- Breakfast Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Dukkah, Herb & Cheese Monkey Bread by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Ham, Carrot & Beer Bundtlettes by I Love Bundt Cakes
- Mexican Breakfast Bundt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mini Meatloaf Bundts and Sliders by Magnolia Days
- Rosemary, Olive Oil & Polenta Bundt by The Cinnamon Scrolls
- Sausage & Apple Cornbread Bundt Cake with a White Gravy Drizzle by The Freshman Cook
- Savory Zucchini Cheesecake by Food Lust People Love
- Southern Honey Drenched Jalapeño Cornbread by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Stromboli Bundt Cake by Palatable Pastime
- “Tastes Like Pizza” Bundt by Sew You Think You Can Cook