Mini idlis make an excellent choice for the lunch box especially on those days when you have the batter made the previous day[which give really soft idlis] or in a rush to prepare something for the lunchbox.
I pair this with a quick sambar made in the pressure cooker or sometimes my Lil one has it with Idli Milagai Podi!!
Pre-preparation / Notes :
- Grind the batter the previous night and keep it aside to ferment.If you are going to use a day old batter,remove
it from the fridge the first thing in the morning so that it comes to
room temperature before you steam the idlis.
- If the batter has thickened add a little water to bring it to the right consistency.
- Replace orange with any fruit the kiddo likes.
- In case you don’t have a mini idli stand, cube the regular idlis for the lunch box. The kids love smaller versions of the real food and will certainly enjoy these quick bites.
- I smear a little ghee over each mini idli so that they remain soft and they taste good too.