Simple Vegetable Rice Recipe
Some of the posts in my drafts have been sitting around for too long! So I am trying to clear the drafts by posting them one by one and this is one of those!
This month I wanted to publish a post everyday but somehow at the end of the day, I am too tired to sit and think of an intro to write for the post.Let me see if I am able to post one on each day for the coming days.
Coming to today’s recipe, this rice is made with vegetables and flavored with idli milagai podi [made with black urad dal] . Though this spice mix is suitable as a side for Idli / dosa, I have used it to flavor tiffin dishes as well. I have prepared a Ghee podi idli and also a raw plantain curry with this spice mix.
So, naturally, I knew this spice mix would go well as a flavoring agent with rice and hence used it in this rice dish too.
My kids love this dish and hence I pack this for their lunch box as well. They prefer less spicy foods, so I add a couple of spoons of the spice mix. Add more of the spice mix / use red chilies in the seasoning for a spicier version.
How to prepare Simple Vegetable Rice Recipe
Rice- 1 cup, cooked, grains separate
Mixed steamed vegetables- 3/4 cup [I used beans, carrot and peas]
Onion-1,small, finely chopped
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal-1/2 teaspoon
Idli milagai podi – 3 teaspoons / as needed
Curry leaves- a few
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard ,cumin seeds and urad dal.
- When the mustard pops and dal turns brownadd the curry leaves and onion
- Saute till the onion is translucent.
- Now put in the cooked rice, vegetables, idli milagai podi and salt.
- Lower the flame and ix well. Let it cook for a few minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Remove from heat and serve with pappad / raita.
- Increase the spice mix to suit your taste
- Any other spice mix / pav bhaji masala and even sambar powder can be added to this dish for flavoring.
- For a spicier version add a few red chilies along with the mustard and other seasonings.
- Left over rice can also be used here.