This Thinai Maavu Murukku | Foxtail Millet Murukku Recipe was born when the kids were having their exams. They used to come home in the afternoon. It was too hot to sit and study so they didn’t know what else to do! And when they are bored, they definitely need something to munch on.I,on the other hand, was bored of doing all the housework and wanted to sit for a while.
Llil dude was pestering me for some snack and wanted mentioned casually that murukku / Chakli would be a nice thing to snack on!The bulb in my brain clicked and I made this murukku setting aside the need to rest. Lil dude was happy and so is the blog!
The same day I also prepared Rava kesari and posted the pics on Instagram. The kids then started expecting me to make something similar everyday and the justification was – ‘Amma , you can post it on Instagram!’.Kids!!!!
So whatever be the time, it is always nice to enjoy this crispy vegan and gluten free snack!
Here is how to prepare this Thinai Maavu Murukku | Foxtail Millet Murukku Recipe
Thinai maavu / Foxtail millet flour – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1 cup
Roasted bengal gram flour / pottukadalai maavu – 2 tablespoons
Jeera / Cumin seeds or black sesame seeds- 1 teaspoon
Red chili powder-1 teaspoon /adjust to taste
Hot oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
- Take the foxtail millet flour, rice flour,roasted bengal gram flour, salt,red chili powder, cumin seeds in a bowl and mix well.
- Add hot oil and mix with a spoon
- Now add water little by little and knead to a dough.
- Heat oil to deep fry in a pan.
- Grease the murukku press and fit it with a plate of your choice.
- Fill the murukku press with a small portion of this dough.
- Once the oil is hot, press out the murukku into the oil. You can do it directly or press in on a greased ladle and then drop it gently into the oil.
- Fry till it turn crisp.
- Remove from oil and repeat for the remaining dough.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 87