A simple snack that brightens a dull evening- that is exactly what I would say about this snack. A dull and boring evening was transformed into a warm one when I made this snack.
Once again, this dish came into existence because of my dear friend Vaishali who suggested this dish along with another fried snack. Since Lil Angel loves Dhoklas,I thought this one would interest her and made it as an impromptu snack.
This one was light yet delicious and the kids and me enjoyed it while waiting for the rains to pour down
This dish is fourth one in Week 2 of Blogging Marathon #56, with the theme for the week being – Indian States and this delicious snack is from the state of Gujarat.
Adapted from Ribbons to Pastas
Rice- 1 cups
Urad dal- 1/2 cup
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Ginger paste- 1 teaspoon
Green chili paste- 1 teaspoon
Eno- 1 sachet / 1 teaspoon / 5 grams
Chili powder- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Sesame seeds- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves a few
- Soak the rice and dal for at least 5 hours.
- Drain well and grind to a smooth paste adding a little water. The consistency should be like that of Idli batter.
- Remove it onto a vessel and let it ferment for 5-4 hours.
- Mix the batter well and add the oil, ginger and green chili paste,salt and mix once again.
- Get the steamer ready and grease a deep plate.
- Empty the Eno sachet on the batter and pour a little water over it .It will start bubbling.
- Mix gently and pour batter into the plate till half its height. Depending on the size of the plate, you may need to use one or two plates.
- Sprinkle chili powder on the batter.
- Steam the batter for 10-12 minutes/ till done / when you insert a skewer into the plate, it will come out clean.
- Remove from steamer and let it cool for a few minutes. Mark squares.
- Heat oil for tempering and put in mustard and sesame seeds.Once the mustard pops, add curry leaves and remove from heat. Pour over the plate of Idada and spread the tempering over the plate.
- Gently remove the squared from plate.
Serve with a side of your choice.
Take a look at all that was served so far on The Buffet On Table…