Aval Upma Recipe with step by step instructions
A very quick post with an equally quick breakfast dish! I have been making this for a long,long time and yet not posted this version here.
Today’s breakfast is a Tamilnadu style Aval upma. Around here, this one seems to be popular method though there are several others that are also made.
I wanted to do the Karnataka style sasve kayi avalakki where mustard and coconut is groud to a paste with red chilies and that is added to the dish while making the upma. Then in the last minute, when I did not have time to make it, I opted for this quick fix.
This dish is for Blogging Marathon #85, Week 3, Day 3 with the theme Breakfast dishes from different places.
- Jeerege Menisu Avalakki – Cumin and pepper flavored Poha
- Mosaravalakki – Poha in seasoned curd
- Gojjavalakki – Tamarind flavored Poha
- Vegetable Aval Upma
- Banarasi Chura Matar
- Masala Poha
- Chirar Pulao – Bengali Flattened rice pulao
How to prepare Aval Upma Recipe
Thick variety aval/ poha / pressed rice – 1 cup
Mustard- 1/2 teaspoon
Channa dal-1 teaspoon
Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Green chili -2, slit and de-seeded
Coconut, grated-2 tablespoons
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
- Wash the poha twice and drain. Sprinkle water and cover and keep aside till it beomces soft.If needed sprinkle more water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, channa dal and urad dal.
- Once the dal turns light brown, add curry leaves, chilies and peanuts.
- When the peanut get roasted, add onion and cook till the onion is soft.
- Add the softened poha, salt and give it a mix.
- Finally add coconut, mix and remove from heat.
This can be served as such or with sambar / any side of your choice.
There are two varieties of Pressed rice – the thick and thin varieties.
If you are using the thin variety, wash the Pressed rice in a colander and use immediately.If you let it stand too long,it will get soggy.
If using the thick variety,wash it and put in a vessel.Sprinkle a little water,cover and let it stand for 10 minutes or till it is soft.Then use it in the recipe.