The obvious choice for O was Oman. I was not very sure if I could find any vegetarian recipes since this country thrives on meat based dishes. I searched and searched and found the recipes that fitted the theme I have imposed on myself [ Soups/ stews and salads]for this Culinary journey across the globe
So here is the Omani style Vegetable soup and a unique Omani Cauliflower Bean and Rice Salad
- Officially this country is called Sultanate of Oman.
- It follows the system of absolute monarchy.
- In the past, Oman was a very rich country mainly from the trade of incense!
- When it was involved in the incense trade, this country was also the home of ship building.
- It is famous for the Arab breed horses.
- It opened its doors to tourism only in the beginning of the 1990s.
- The country is famous for its ornamented doors!
- The cuisine is as beautiful as the country itself!
- The dishes have a balance of meat and rice with vegetables and the use of herbs and spices make it a delectable treat.
- A meal is never complete with a seafood dish.
- The omanis offere coffee and dates to guest. The coffee cup is never full. It is poured in small portion, just a sip and the custom is something like ‘1000 sip coffee’ where the cup is refilled after each sip. So the tea time is a lengthy one!
Now to the soup…..
Adapted from here
Mixed vegetables – A handful each of capsicum,baby corn cauliflower florets,cabbage,carrots,tomato
Garlic-2 pods, chopped
Ginger,minced- 1/2 teaspoon
Vegetable stock-3 cups
Cumin powder-1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Quick cooking oats- 2 tablespoons
Oregano-1/4 teaspoon[original recipe uses zatar]
Salt to taste
Heat oil in pan and add the onion , garlic and ginger. Saute till the onion turns slightly brown. Add the vegetables and tomato and saute for 2 minutes. Put in the vegetable stock and bring to boil.
Add teh cumin powder, coriander powder,pepper powder and mix.
Put in salt, cover and cook till the vegetables are cooked, yet have a light crunch. Mix the oats in 1/4 cup water and add to the soup.Sprinkle oregano and remove from heat.
Serve hot garnishes with coriander leaves.
I also made this Omani Cauliflower Bean and Rice Salad. Do check it out….