Avial is typically a dish from Kerala though it is also prepared in Tamilnadu.It is nothing but a colorful and tasteful mixture of vegetables in a spicy coconut gravy.
For reason unknown[even to me!!],I don’t like Avial!Surprised?You ought to be…I don’t know when and why I stopped eating this dish.When it used to be served at weddings,functions or at home ,I avoided it.
I went home to India a couple of months bac and ,mom prepared it.She asked me to try but I was a bit hesitant.Yet I did try and I was so guilty that I had ignored dish earlier.
I loved it so much that I had it like a snack in the evening!!Well,what can I say,preferences for certain things do change over time!!!
Here is mom’s method for preparing this dish.
Mixed Vegetables[See note below]-3 cups
Coconut oil-2 teaspoons
Curry leaves-a few
Salt to taste
Grind to a fine paste
Coconut 1/2 a cup
Green chillies-3[Adjust to taste]
Jeera/cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
- Pressure cook vegetables,groundnuts and transfer them to a vessel along with the water used to cook it. .Be careful not to over cook the vegetables.
- In a heavy bottom pan put in the vegetables ,ground paste and salt. Mix well.
- Add a little water if the mixture is too dry.Simmer and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in beaten curd.
- Transfer to serving bowl.
- Heat coconut oil and put in mustard and curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutters and curry leaves crisp,pour over avial and mix.
Serve with steamed rice/adai
- The vegetables best suited are drumstick,raw plantain,chow chow, beans, carrot peas,potato,pumpkin-white and yellow.
- Ladies finger and brinjal are usually not used in this dish.
- Coconut oil give this dish the authentic flavor but in case it is not available any other cooking oil can be used.