Call it Sukku malli kapi / Sukku malli coffee this is a healthy concoction of spices to treat or relive minor ailments.Sukku is dry ginger and malli is coriander seeds.Each one of the spices used in this is loaded with health benefits. When sipped piping hot,it is said to relive symptoms of indigestion,anorexia[loss/lack of appetite],headaches/light giddiness and many more.In the rural area,people still use such home remedies instead of running to see the physician for minor ailments.[There are numerous versions of this concoction and I have even seen people add a dash of instant coffee powder to this!But I don’t think the authentic version uses coffee powder].Anyways,here is how you make it….
You need:[Please see note at the bottom of the post]
Dry ginger / ginger powder – 2 ” piece / 1 teaspoons
Roasted coriander seeds – 2 teaspoons
Peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Palm candy[Panam kalkandu] to sweeten
- Heat water around 2 litres in a big pot.When it comes to a boil,put in all the ingredients except palm candy.
- Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain,add palm candy and sip.
The remaining sediment can be used again.Just pour more water and prepare the kapi in the same method.
The spice mix for this can be made ahead and used when required.Use fresh ingredients to make the powder.Do not use store brought powders to make the mix.Roast[without oil] the coriander seeds,peppercorns,cumin and then powder.Mix together ginger powder and the roasted and ground powder and store in an airtight container.To prepare this kapi,heat water and add a teaspoon of this mix ,boil,strain and sweeten to sip.
- This should not be gulped down like other beverages.Since it is spicy,it has to be sipped and savored.
- It is a spicy concoction so do not give it to children
- Adults should not take more than 1/2 a cup per dose.Can be taken once or twice a day.If you are suffering from chronic ailments consult your physician before taking this.
- Adjust the pepper and ginger ratio to suit your taste.
- Do not use white sugar to sweeten.It spoils the original taste of the drink.