Taste and Create is an event that I am a part of for many years. This month I was paired with Veena of Veg Nation. I was really confused in selecting a recipe as I had already bookmarked quite a few earlier.Finally, I settled on this south Indian breakfast…
My folks have been talking about this kal dosai for quite some time now and so I made this to see how they like it. The dosas were really soft and spongy and paired well with the chutney.This recipe is a keeper for sure.We enjoyed this breakfast Veena 🙂
Recipe Source – Veg Nation
Raw rice – 1 cup
Parboiled rice- 1 cup
Whole white dal -1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Soak the raw rice and parboiled rice together for 3 hours.
- In another vessel soak the urad dal and fenugreek for 3 hours.
- Drain the water from the rice mixture and grind to a smooth batter adding little water in a wet grinder / mixie.Remove this into a large vessel.
- Next grind the urad dal and fenugreek seeds to a fluffy batter adding very little water.
- Remove this into the vessel containing the rice batter.
- Add salt to this mixture and mix well.
- Let it ferment overnight.
- The next day, gently mix the risen batter and pour a ladle full of batter on a heated griddle. Do not spread.
- Cover and cook till bubble appear and they will break and form small holes.Do not flip them over .
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
- Chop the onion and tomato.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in the tomato and onion, red chillies.
- Cook till the tomato turns mushy.Remove from heat and cool.
- Grind to a smooth paste along with coconut, fried gram dal and salt.
- Remove the chutney into a serving dish.
- Heat oil for tempering.Add mustard and when it splutters add curry leaves and remove from heat.
- Pour over the chutney and mix well.
- Serve with Kal dosai.