This humble apple sauce was one Lil Angel’s favorite food until she tasted chickoo puree with milk and then that changed after she tasted some other fruit which I don’t remember now. After her preferences changed, I stopped making puree with apple and after a while she was old enough to eat the fruit.Lil Dude on the other hand rejected this puree after the first, second and all the trials!! He rarely eats apples now!
One fine day, mom gave me a huge bag of apples with the remark that its for Lil Angel! After eating a few, the rate of the apple disappearing into her tummy reduced and I had to find a way to finish off the huge batch of apples that were literally over flowing in the fridge!
Then I remembered reading somewhere that apple sauce is a good egg substitute. And then this post was born….
Peel core and chop the apples. Add enough water to cook it. Pressure cook the apples till soft. I cooked for 3 hisses / 15 minutes. Let it cool. If there is too much water, drain out a little and puree.
Store in a freezer proof box and use in bakes….
- 1/4 cup of this sauce can be used instead of 1 egg.
- Instead of pressure cooking, this can also be cooked in the microwave.If cooking in a pan, keep checking the water level.Cooking in a pan takes a longer time when compared to MW / pressure cooking.
- If you feel, puree has grits, pass it through a fine sieve.
- When there is a large quantity of puree at hand, store in small jars[with 1/4 or 1/2 cup puree per jar] in the freezer
- Some add cinnamon while cooking. I am not a huge fan of this spice so I have left it out.
- Even though we keep it frozen, it is better to use it as quickly as possible.
- If having a large quantity,use in milkshakes. My kiddo loves to snack it as such and calls it apple ice cream!She even liked it as a spread on toasts.
- If storing in the refrigerator ,use within a day or too.
- Bring the sauce to room temperature before using in bakes….
This post is for Blogging Marathon #48, Week 1,Day 1, with the theme – Pick one, Do three and I have selected Sauces as the theme.