I would usually celebrate a birthday with an Indian dessert or a cake. But today,for a change,I am celebrating my babies birthday with a warm and sweet beverage.
My blog baby is stepping into the 9th year today and little did I know or guess that I would be so much attached to it!But what I do know is that I have come a long way from where I started and plan to keep going.
So, today, I have a simple beverage also called egg milk punch made of sweetened milk,eggs,creams and sometimes spirits like rum,brandy etc.
It is a traditional beverage served in Canada and the U.S. from American thanksgiving through the end Christmas season.Wiki gives a detailed account of its history here…
I wanted to make this ever since I saw it in Aparna’s blog and finally made it today .This one is made with custard powder. I have not tasted the original version, but this one really tasted good.
Adapted from – My Diverse Kitchen
Milk – 300ml
Cream- 1/4 cup
Ground ginger- 1 teaspoon
Grated nutmeg-a large pinch
Vanilla flavored Custard powder – 1 heaped tablespoon
Vanilla essence- 1 teaspoon
Powdered sugar- to taste
Unsweetened cocoa powder- to garnish
- Dissolve the custard powder in a little milk.
- take the remaining milk and cream mix together and add the custard mixture, sugar and heat it.
- Simmer and keep mixing so that lumps are not formed.
- When mixture thickens slightly,add the essence and spice powders and whisk.
- Switch off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour into serving mugs and serve garnished with a pinch or two of cocoa powder.
Wishing all my readers
A very happy