Pathiya or pathiyam is the diet given during special stages of life life like postpartum period or during certain illness .This is spice mix prepared especially during the postpartum period. Though this spice mix is good for everyone, not many people prepare this other than the time when there is a new mom at home.Since I love spice mixes, mom made this and I have added it to my growing list of magic masalas.
In this, there are 3 medicinal ingredients – Dried neem flowers,Manathakkali vatral [dried blacknight shade] and sundakkai vatral. Along with this is urad dal , chillies, peppercorns and asafetida.
You need :
Dried neem flower– 2 tablespoons
Manathakkali vatral -2 tablespoons
Sundakkai vatral– 1 tablespoon
Urad dal- a little less than 1/2 a cup
Red chilli -1
Black peppercorns- ½ teaspoon
Asafetida powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
- Heat a little ghee in a pan and fry the neem flowers for a couple of minutes on low flame. Take care not to char the flowers. Remove from pan and keep aside
- Next heat a little oil in the pan and put in manathakkali vatral and sundakkai vatral. When they puff up a little, remove using a slotted ladle and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil,roast the urad dal, red chili,peppercorns and asafetida powder.
- When the dal turns brown, remove from heat and keep aside.
- When all the ingredients have cooled down, powder along with salt.
- Store in an airtight container.
Sprinkle a few teaspoons of the spice mix over piping hot steamed rice. Add a little melted ghee, mix well. This is usually eaten as the first dish in the lunch time. This too is just a few morsels and is not taken as the main meal.