Upma kozhukattai is a simple snack/breakfast food that is easy to digest and tasty as well. It is a steamed preparation of rice and dal.As you may be aware, grains and pulse combination is an excellent way to obtain all the amino acid and making the protein available for the body.
Mom prepared this as a snack for me a few days ago. It is usually paired with a tangy gravy or pulikuzhambu.Here mom paired it with sundakkai vatral pulikuzhambu.It is a yum combo. This upma koxhkattai can also be had with a simple coconut chutney.Sharing her recipe here.
Rice -1 cup
Toor dal- a little less than 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Oil- 2 teaspoons
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Urad dal- 1 teaspoon
Gram dal- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Green chillies- 2 cut and de-seeded
Asafetida powder- a pinch
- Soak the rice and dal in water for approximately 2 hours.
- Drain well and grind to a rice rava consistency[without adding water]
- Bring to boil 2 1/2 cups of water and slowly put in the ground rice-dal and salt.
- Mix well so that there are no lumps and the rice-dal absorbs the water and becomes fluffy.Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Next heat oil in a pan and put in the ingredients for seasoning.
- When the dal turns brown,puti n the cooked rice-dal and stir well. Cook on low flame till teh seasoning is mixed well into the rice-dal mixture.Remove from heat.
- When it is cool enough to handle make shape them into cylinders as seen in the pics.
- Place them on a greased steamer plate and steam for 15-20 minutes.
Serve along with vathakuzhambu or coconut chutney
- The water used will vary with the quality of rice
- Grated coconut can alo be added to this dish in step 6
- I will post the vathakuzhambu recipe shortly.
Manathakkali Vatral Podi
Postpartum Pathiya Podi
Paneer Ajwain Paratha and Vegetable Dal
Paneer Capsicum Rice
Menthiya soppu Bele Palya – Fenugreek leaves-lentil stirfry.
Peanut Coriander Chutney