This is another of my experiment with millets. We like Ven Pongal for breakfast and for a change made Pongal with Varagu. The texture was a little different but the taste was great.
Millets are very healthy and are becoming very popular these days.Check out the other millet recipes here….
This breakfast is for Blogging Marathon #48, Week 2,Day 3 under theme Nasta Time. Nasta is a slang for tiffins served at breakfast / as snacks.
Varagu / Kodo Millet [Scientific Name- Paspalum scrobiculatum,,Kodro[Hindi]- 1 cup
Broken green gram / kichidi paruppu – 1/8 cup
Yellow moong dal -1/8 cup
Curry leaves a few
Ghee -2 tablespoons
Turmeric powder- a large pinch
Salt to taste
Roast the millet in a pan for a few minutes till a nice aroma arises and the color changes a shade darker. Remove from pan. In the same way roast both the dals together till the dal turns a little darker in shade and remove from heat.
In a vessel, take the roasted ingredients and add 5 cups of water.Place the vessel inside a pressure cooker.TO the millet mixture add turmeric poser, salt and mix.
Pressure cook for 20 minutes / till the pongal is cooked.Remove from the cooker after the pressure releases on its own. Mix it while it is still hot.
Heat a pan with ghee and add pepper, cumin seeds.When the cumin crackles, add curry leaves.
Pour into the pongal and mix well.
Serve hot with chutney / sambar.
- Roasting the millet and dal is optional .But roasting gives a very good flavor to the dish.
- I added 5 cups of water to the pongal. Sometimes, the pongal may seem gooey. If this happens, transfer the mixture onto a pan and cook uncovered till the excess water has evaporated and the correct consistency is got.
- Finely chopped ginger can be added along with the curry leaves while seasoning.
- Any other millet can also be used to prepare pongal in a similar way.
- Vegetable oil[other than coconut oil] can be used instead of ghee. But ghee imparts the best flavor.
- If you serve than after a while, the taste may seem. Steam / microwave it for a few minutes and it will be fresh as new.